WELCOME TO CHIPOUDIE (At Riverside-Albert) SITE OF THE ACADIAN MONUMENT
Around 1700, several Acadian families leaded by Pierre Thibodeau settled in Chipoudie. They were in search of new agricultural lands that were becoming rare in the Port-Royal region. The settlers had to build Aboiteaux to dry the marshes and make them favorable to agriculture.
In 1755, there were 425 Acadians in the Chipoudie region. However, the english settlers in New England considered them as a threat to their security and decided to displace them.
Most of these Acadians left the region and became refugees hiding along the coast lines of New Brunswick and in Quebec. Others were located in the New England States and later came back to settle on a permanent basis in their original province.